#ProjectServer 2010 #MSProject Enterprise Global custom fields out of synch #PS2010 #PS2007

February 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Posted in Administration, Configuration, Issue | 5 Comments
Tags: , , , , ,

I recently came across an issue where the enterprise custom fields in the Enterprise Global didn’t match what was displayed in PWA > Server Settings > Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup tables. I am not sure how or why this has happened, all I know it is seemed to be a combination of an upgrade from Project Server 2003 to Project Server 2010 with a playbooks merge of two Project Server 2007 instances(the two 2003 environments upgraded) along the way. It was decided to remove some of the Project Level custom fields from the Project Server 2010 configuration as they were no longer required. After successfully deleting the customs fields from Server Settings > Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup tables, Project Professional 2010 was launched, connected to the server instance and found that the deleted custom fields were still present in the Project Information dialog box. I tested deleting the local cache, the local global template but still these deleted fields appeared in the Project Information dialog box. This issue was replicated from all Project Professional 2010 clients. At this point I decided to recreate the Enterprise Global using the steps below:

  • Take a full backup of the Project Server databases / farm
  • Backup the Enterprise Calendars from the Admin backup menu
  • Copy all of the enterprise global elements to a project using the organiser, these include views, tables, filters, groups, reports, maps, forms and toolbars. Save this project as a local MPP file.
  • Run the SQL script that creates the enterprise global (eglobal.sql) against the ProjectServer_Published database. The default location for the script is:

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Sql\Project Server\CORE\1033

  • Once the enterprise global has been rebuilt successfully the Project Information dialog box displayed the same fields as shown in Server Settings > Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup tables so the deleted fields had now been removed from the enterprise global. Now the enterprise global custom elements need to be copied back in. Open and check out the enterprise global, open the MPP file that was used to save all of the elements and then use the organiser to move all of the custom elements back into the new enterprise global.
  • Restore the Enterprise Calendars

These steps resolved the issues on the environment I was working on but please proceed with caution and make sure you have full backups in case you need to roll back.

Advertisements

5 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. We are encountering this issue in our Prod environment, which fits the criteria of being an upgrade from 2003 to 2007 to 2010. Our test server is a clean 2010 install and doesn’t have the issue, but I was testing your fix (nicely written, thank you!) on our test server just to get the hang of it and I realized something – when you run the script, it deletes your enterprise calendars. If you do an administrative restore of your archived enterprise global, it doesn’t restore them, but restoring your enterprise resource pool and calendars does.

    Just wanted to add to your already helpful post in case someone else encounters the same thing.

    • Thanks for the feedback and note – I have been meaning to update this post for a while with that step!

      • Sure, anytime.

        Just a note – it doesn’t only blow away your custom calendars, it also blows away any custom exceptions you have in the standard calendar, too. I noted that in my blog post about the same subject. Not even MS mentions that part in their forum threads about it…

  2. […] you have to… So, because of a bug (as chronicled in thhis brilliant blog post), we had to rebuild our enterprise global […]

  3. There’s some good news on this front for 2013 – I just got off the phone with MS and they provided me with the new script for 2013, which includes instructions for disabling the calendar delete in the stored procedure, so you no longer have to restore the calendars and resources. Just thought I’d share this info in case it was helpful to anyone.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: