#ProjectOnline Reporting #OData entity modified dates #PPM #PMOT #O365

July 1, 2017 at 7:21 pm | Posted in Administration, Configuration, Functionality, Information, Reporting | Leave a comment
Tags: , ,

Just a quick blog post to highlight a feature in the OData reporting API so that you are aware of how it works. A few months back it was announced that all entities in the OData API would have modified dates. I thought this would be a great addition as those that pulled the data into a SQL database could then just pull down the deltas to minimise the data from Project Online into the database. I for one hadn’t really looking into the new modified date properties as I just assumed they would be true modified dates when those entities where updated. So for example, I thought if I just opened and published a project without changing any task data only the Project Modified Date would change and the Task Modified Dates would remain as the previous dates when those tasks were actually modified. This assumption was incorrect, in that scenario where you only open then publish the project without making changes to any tasks, all task modified dates are also updated to match the project modified date. See the example below:

The Office 2016 rollout plan on my test Project Online system was created over a month ago as were all of the example tasks. Today I just opened the project and published it without making any changes to any tasks but notice the ProjectModifiedDate and TaskModifiedDates all match:

image

Checking the Task Time phased task modified dates shows the same thing:

image

If I just add a new task then publish the project the same happens, the project modified date is updated as expected but also all tasks are updated to have the same task modified date as the project modified date:

image

image

I have also seen examples where adding one new task doesn’t impact the modified dates of other tasks.

If I now left that project open for a couple of minutes without making any changes then hit publish again, this time I do see only the Project Modified Date change as expected, in that scenario the task modified dates remain the same.

Here are examples for task data and task time phased data but the same occurs in all feeds such as assignment time phased, assignment baseline time phased etc.

Just something to be aware of if you were wondering why the dates were always being updated – may be you had the same assumption as I did! If you are using the entity modified dates, make sure you test all scenarios to ensure you know when dates do and don’t get updated.

I have put an idea on the user voice forum – if you agree it would be good to change these dates to true modified dates – get voting Smile   https://microsoftproject.uservoice.com/forums/218133-microsoft-project/suggestions/19821661-have-true-entity-modified-dates-in-the-odata-api-f

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: