Extending #ProjectfortheWeb Part3 #PPM #CDS #MSDyn365 #PowerPlatform #MSProject #PowerApps

Here is part 3 of my blog series for extending Project for the Web, for those of you that missed part 2, it can be found here: https://pwmather.wordpress.com/2019/12/19/extending-projectfortheweb-part2-ppm-cds-msdyn365-powerplatform-msproject-powerapps/

In part 2 we looked at creating the new app, in this post we will look at adding a new Risks entity. My updated example app that this post will walkthrough can be seen below:

New sub area called Risks below the Logs grouping and added “Number of Risks” in the default project view:

App1

Risks entity view that enables navigation to the related project:

App2

Updated Issues entity with new field and updated view that includes a field for the originating risk (Risk to Issue escalation included):

App3

New Risk form with example fields, two fields using the slider control – General tab:

App4

With some data:

Risk Form with data

Escalation tab, used to escalate the Risk to an Issue if/when required:

App5

Project view with the new Risks tab added and the “Number of Risks” field to count the number of risks for the current project:

App6

Risks tab in the current project:

App7

The steps below will walkthrough the changes to add the example Risks entity to the app. Like in part 1, access https://make.powerapps.com/ and ensure you’re in the default organisation where the new Project for the Web service is deployed. Under Data on the left nav, click Entities and add a new Entity, I called mine “Risk”:

Risk Entity

Add the fields you want such as Due Date, Description, Probability, Impact, Status etc. and save the entity. Some fields to note here are Exposure which is a calculated field, that calculates Probability * Impact. I’ve also added “Escalated To Issue?” and “Escalated Date” – these are used for the Risk to Issue escalation process described in part 4 coming soon. Like we did for the Issues entity, also create a field such as “Related Project” that is a lookup to the Project entity. Now create / update the Risk entity views as required. For this example I just added my new example fields to the Active Risk view then saved and published the changes:

Risk View

Click Back and access the Forms in the new Risks entity, here I updated the Main form to add the new fields on the general tab and added a slider component to the Probability and Impact fields, I also added the new Escalation tab with the two escalation fields. I set the “Escalated Date” field to be read only as this is set automatically as part of the process then published the changes:

Form1

Escalation tab:

Form 2

I then added a new field to the previously created Issues entity – “Originating Risk” which is a lookup to the Risk entity:

Issues Entity

I also added the new “Originating Risk” field the the Issues views as required. The Project entity was also updated, a new rollup field called “Number of Risks” was created – the same as what was created previous for Issues:

RiskRollup

The project views were also updated to include the “Number of Risks” fields where applicable. The main information form in the Project entity was updated to include the Number of Risks on the Summary tab:

ProjForm

Another 1-column tab component was added to the form after the Issues tab, this was called “Risks” and a Subgrid related data component was added here which was linked to the new related Risks entity:

Proj Risks

Publish the form once completed. All the entities are created / updated in the CDS, now the app needs to be updated. For this we will continue with the “Project PPM – Blog” app started in part 2. From https://make.powerapps.com/ access Apps then select the app and click Edit:

AppEdit

The App Designer will load, click Edit on the Site Map as seen below:

Site Map Edit

Click Issues to select that grouping then click the Components tab and drag on the a new Subarea below Issues:

New Area

After:

New Area Added

Update the properties for the new sub area to link to the new Risks entity:

Area Updated

Click Save then click Publish then click Save and close to go back to the App Designer and you will see the Risk entity added in the Entity View:

Risks Added

Click Save, then click Validate. As before, I have some warnings but I’m OK with those in this example. Then Publish the app changes and click Save and Close to close the app designer. The updated app is now available to me. That concludes part 3, our app now has both issues and risks added. In part for we will look at the Risk to Issue escalation process and add / updated more entities to provide more capabilities for the model driven app for Project for the Web.

One thought on “Extending #ProjectfortheWeb Part3 #PPM #CDS #MSDyn365 #PowerPlatform #MSProject #PowerApps

Comments are closed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: