Unknown error when saving #ProjectServer Security Group #PS2010 #MSProject #SP2010 #EPM

December 22, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Posted in Administration, Configuration, Customisation, Issue, T-SQL | Leave a comment
Tags: , , ,

I came across this issue on my test instance a while back and never bothered to investigate it or fix it, when trying to save the security group the following error was returned:

The group could not be saved due to the following reason(s):

  • An unknown error has occurred.
  • An unknown error has occurred.

image

After some digging around I remember I did some testing with adding custom permissions, 2 in fact which coincided with the number of unknown errors. The Administrators group did originally have both of these custom permissions enabled. After looking down the list of Global permissions I couldn’t see the two custom permissions so I checked the Published database. Luckily I had the SQL queries saved from when I created the two custom permissions so I knew what Name ID to check for in the database tables. The two custom permissions existed in the MSP_WEB_SECURITY_FEATURES_ACTIONS table but not in the MSP_WEB_CONVERSIONS table as seen below:

image

As I thought, my two custom permission names had been removed from the web conversions table, almost certainly after applying an update for Project Server. The fix is quite simple, just add the custom permission names back into the MSP_WEB_CONVERSTIONS table, my example can be seen below:

image

The security group can now be saved without any errors.

Worth noting if you use custom permissions on your Project Server environment, hopefully that will help anyone seeing this issue. Smile

Advertisements

Some #ProjectServer default fields not in the Reporting Database #PS2010 #MSProject #SP2010

December 19, 2011 at 10:10 am | Posted in Administration, Configuration, Functionality, Reporting, T-SQL, Workarounds | Leave a comment
Tags: , , ,

Not all default fields are available in the Project Server Reporting database, for example the Contact and Resume fields. To be able to easily include these fields in reports using direct T-SQL you will need to get the values for these fields in the Project Server Reporting database. The easiest was to achieve this is to create a new custom field that uses a formula and reference the default field. The new custom field will then be available in the reporting database. Below is walkthrough guide using the Contact field to show you what I mean.

Task 1 in the project below has PaulM as the Contact as seen below:

image

To get this value in the Reporting I will create a new Task Level custom field called TaskContact that uses a formula of [Contact] as shown below:

image

Now I need to open and publish the project/s so that the TaskContact custom field pulls in the values from the default Contact field and synchronises these values to the Reporting database when published. You can see below that the Contact PaulM is now available in the MSP_EPMTask_UserView for Task1.

image

#ProjectServer 2010 new Project Owner does not have access to Project Site #MSProject #PS2010 #SP2010

December 18, 2011 at 12:21 am | Posted in Administration, Functionality | Leave a comment
Tags: , ,

This query has been raised to me a few times so I thought it would make a useful post. After changing the Project Owner this user will not automatically synchronise and get access to the Project Site that they now own. You will need to force a synchronisation in Server Settings > Project Sites select the site and click the synchronise button.

Now you will see the new Project Owner appear on the Project Site with the Project Managers (Microsoft Project Server) permission level. A walk through example to show this can be seen below.

The current owner of Proj1 is myself as seen below:

image

The users currently with access to the Proj1 Project Site are as follows:

image

I will now change the owner to Dave then save the changes and publish Proj1

image

In this example you will see that Dave still doesn’t have access to the project site for the project he now owns, to get Dave access to the project site the site users need to be synchronised. To do this navigate to PWA > Server Settings > Project Sites and select Proj1 then click the Synchronize button to synchronise the project site users and permissions.

image

You should then see a successful job in the Project Server queue for Project Site Membership Synchronization as shown below:

image

Now if you look at the site permissions for Proj1 you will see that Dave (Support\userw) now has access with the Project Managers (Microsoft Project Server) permission level.

image

#ProjectServer and #SharePoint 2010 December 2011 Cumulative Update #PS2010 #SP2010 #MSProject

December 15, 2011 at 6:42 am | Posted in CU | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , ,

The Office 2010 December 2011 Cumulative Updates are now available, please see the links below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2639884

Project Server 2010 December 2011 CU:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596997

Project Server 2010 Server Roll up package December 2011 CU:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2597015 

Project 2010 December 2011 CU:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2597006 

As always, test these updates on a test environment before deploying to production.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.